Reviews and random thoughts brought about by various movies, series, music, books, travels, social behavior and what not...

Monday, August 16, 2010

Sugar Hiccup gig at Sazi's


I remember back in the 90's, Sugar Hiccup was one of the few bands that came into the scene at the right time with the right skills. I got to meet and chat up with them back in college, we happened to practice in the same rehersal studio in Espana, Manila that time...unfortunately, I didn't get to see them perform live. But the last song they practiced pulled me into their music (I later found out that the song was entitled '5 Years'). Their later releases were such a treat to listen to. Then I heard from them no more. 

Last night, however, I got to listen to the new Sugar Hiccup on their gig at Sazi's (Formerly Mayrics).  They played the same genre, same style...but something was a bit different...something more profound yet undecipherable as vocalist Jeanette Reyes-Jorge sang the first few words of their new song. Her voice ran though me and it sort of punched me in the chest...that's how much impact her voice got to me. Its a refreshing break from years of 'borlelooo' bands (A term my wife and I coined up to refer to female-fronted-Paramore-a-coopia bands).

I was fustrated that I didn't remember the title of their song that I loved instantly...'waiting for tomorrow-something'. It was like Celtic music in goth and classical overtures...like Miranda Sex Garden. And their version of Sampaguita's 'Usok' was also another delight. I was amazed on how Jeanette's voice interchange with her violin parts, like Slash and Hammet exchanging licks on the same song.

I'm definitely going to get their CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Topics